From: Thierry ITTY [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 3:22 PM

> I know it is possible to run linux on them, it might be interesting

Yes it is, I have here a Sun Ultra 5 Running SuSE 7.3 Sparc

> on the other hand, I've been told those machines compare to
> Pentium 75 or 90

I've never compared the Sparc to an Intel machine.

> so the question is : is it worst installing linux on them, as
> servers ? as
> workstations ? as enhanced X terminals ?

I installed a normal workstation:
KDE
mysql
apache
php

All this is running at the same time. Sure, I'm not getting the same
performance as my PII-266 but it doesn't matter. KDE works fine, mysql
delivers in connection with apache and php around 50 querys a day so it's
enough.

Regards

Jan