On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Robert Canary wrote:

> What?????
> your email address is showing right here in the headers of same email
> you just posted!!!!!  In the headers!!!!
>
> From: Matthew Saltzman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         9:52 AM
>   NOTE: Email address   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Subject: Re: [HS] SPAM
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> I don't mind the offlist contacts so I put my email address in sig.
> Mainly because of other mialing list I belong to, but that is my choice.

Oh, right, there.  That's a tough call for a mailing list operator.  The
option in Mailman is "anonymous_list", which replaces the sender with the
list address, thus abscuring information about the sender.

With this option, senders can completely obscure their identities not only
from spammers but from everyone on the list.  It's not clear to me that
this is a good idea, because it obscures attributions (what gets filled in
for the author in the line