ok
i did the "upgrade install" option
and when asked to install dependencies, i said "yes".

BAD IDEA

not only does up2date still not work
  (it's installed but it's giving me errors (posted later)
but all of my perl modules have somehow disappeared
and i can't seem to install them through perl -MCPAN -e shell
it's telling me that it can't get the packages it wants
so in short, this only made things worse

here's the error i'm getting though up2date though:

[root@computername dir]# /usr/sbin/up2date -u
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 199 in ?
    from client import Client
  File "/usr/share/up2date/client.py", line 14 in ?
    import _gtk
ImportError: libtgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

isn't gtk belong with X? not a commandline program?