I have spend three days try to get jdbc for mysql work, but failed. I am
very frustrated. I will
be appreciated if somebody can help me out.

I have redhat 7.2 OS, I download the sever and client mysql .rpm files and
instaled it, i believe succssfully. i use command like 'mysqladmin
version' to test the mysql server, the server seems work fine, I have a
mysql user account 'jianping' which has been granted all global privilges.

I downloaded  the JDBC mm.mysql-2.0.4-bin.jar to my system and set the env
varible properly.

I have a database called 'evote' and there is one table 'stocks' in the
database.
I use the code download form a jDBc tutrial website the code is:

import java.sql.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;

class StocksMy {
   public static void main (String args []) {

      try {

         Class.forName("org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver").newInstance();
          System.out.println("1111111111111111");

         // Create a Connection and a Statement
         Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(

"jdbc:mysql://localhost/evote?user=jianping&password=ping1830");
          System.out.println("33333333333333");
         // Select all columns from the STOCKS table
         ResultSet rset = stmt.executeQuery ("select * from stocks");

         // Iterate through the result and print the records
         while (rset.next()) {
            String ticker=rset.getString(1).trim();
            String title=rset.getString(2).trim();
            String price=rset.getString(3).trim();
            String blanks=
"                                                                  ";
            // print the data in a table format
            System.out.print (ticker);
            System.out.print(blanks.substring(1,8-ticker.length()));
            System.out.print (title);
            System.out.print(blanks.substring(1,41-title.length()));
            System.out.println (price);
         }
      } catch (Exception e) {
         System.out.println("StocksMy: JDBC exception");
         System.exit(1);
      }
   }
}
I added some System.out.println () trying to the code.

The code can be compiled succesfully, but when i tried to execute it, it
gave  folliing output.

11111111111111111
Stocksmy: JDBC exception

because it did not print 333333333333333 so I believe the problem is that
the connection can not be establish.

Thanks in advance.