>   1.. This is fdisk version 2.11f. Listing the known partition type does not show me
>ext3 nor ext2, so I chose type '83 Linux' and then primary no1. Is that correct?

partition types and filesystems are different things. fdisk only
understands partitions.

>   2.. How do I edit the fstab file? I read the man page for fstab, tried various
>ideas I got from reading it and clone some lines from it, but then the machine won't
>boot properly.

1) make sure the mount point directory exists on the host fs.
2) just copy an entry from /etc/fstab (other than / or swap, since the
settings are different) and make appropriate changes.

>   3.. What about the mounting point. Do I have to create it first with 'mkdir /xxx'
>?

Yes. It must be on the host fs (ie. if you're making a /usr/local
partition, make sure /usr/local is first created on the fs where /usr's
contents are located). Order of fs mounting is a biggie too. If you have a
complex tree of filesystems, make sure you mount the filesystems that host
the mount points for other filesystems first (ie. if you have /, /usr, and
/usr/local partitions, mount them in that order). Since you have 3
harddisks, you prolly have some number of partitions :)

--
-Statux