On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Kerry Miller wrote:

> We have 2 firewalls running on ipchains now.  I'm not too great with
> ipchains yet and haven't even tried iptables, but since I already have
> working firewalls w/ ipchains, is there a way to use my current scripts with
> iptables?  How much different is the syntax, or is there a way to import the
> ipchains scripts into iptables then save them?  Or, is there a util that
> will convert them for me?

 AFAIK, there is no conversion tool other than your brain.  At best, your
ipchains would server as a template for the things you are trying to
manage.  Please consider investing in a book such as "Linux Firewalls" by
Robert Zeigler.  He has an ipchains and an iptables edition.

There are numerous tools that help you generate a iptables firewall
script.  www.freshmeat.net and use "firewall" as your search string.  The
resulting number of hits astonishes me still.  My favourite is fwbuilder.
I've heard of "firestarter" being bandied about by many people.