On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 12:47:02PM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:

> Have you looked at XFS on Linux?  Using Samba on XFS (or ext3 with ACLs)
> should give you what you need:
> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/
> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/102_installer.html

Start with the FAQ and you'll very quickly see that it's not ready for the
average file server today.  You'll see lots of references to starting with the
cvs version, explanations as to why there is no support in a standard kernel,
no RHL 7.2 installer (it's in the works), limited support in backup tools, etc.

Sure it's getting there, but for most people, this just makes it impractical.
Compare the effort of getting ACL support in XFS with getting XFS support in
Windows.

> (Don't know much about these:)
> http://acl.bestbits.at/

Known issues with disk quotas and NFS

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-acl/

>From the web site (from the initial announcement dated 2002-03-06 15:55):

"Currently, using the package requires patching and recompiling your kernel,
and installing tools to use the new features, thus requiring some kernel-fu
savvy.

Once development has reached a stable, reliable state and has been well tested,
the kernel patch aspect will be submitted for inclusion in the main kernel
sources."

All this leads me back to my original comments - there is lots of work going
on, and I'm sure we'll have good ACL support eventually, but today it's not
there for most of us.  You might get something work that works for you, but
you'll be bleeding edge, probably run into incompabilities, and who knows what
else.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]