On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Chip Rose wrote:

> On 25-Mar-02 Bill Crawford wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Chip Rose wrote:
> >
> >> I can't mount floppies or cdrom now - It suddenly stopped working, after
> >> years
> >> of no problems.  As root, I type:
> >> mount /dev/cdrom /mnt
> >> or
> >> mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
> >>
> >> When I do that, I hear my floppy clicking, or my cdrom noise if I'm trying
> >> mount that, but then "mount" freezes up and I have to X out of the whole
> >> xterm.
> >> Any clues/pointers??  Thanks a lot.
> >
> >  If you're doing this from the desktop, I'd suggest
> >
> >       # rpm -e magicdev
> >
> =================
>
> I don't have magicdev installed - what's the effect?? Thanks!
>  - Chip

 It's responsible for the "auto mount" behaviour for CDs in GNOME, I
just thought I'd mention it.  I used to remove it but it resurfaced
somehow last time I did an install, and so I guessed it might have
appeared during an upgrade or something.

 Failing that I'm stumped, but a few thoughts:

 If it's affecting both cdrom and floppy, it's unlikely to be a
hardware issue, so something is broken, either something in your
filesystem or in software.

 · Did you have anything else already mounted there?
 · Have you changed *anything* recently?  Errata packages?  Kernel?