I am trying to get sound on a SiS m810 system.  Redhat 7.2, 2.4.7-10 kernel,
KDE 2.  It has Trident 4D wave PCI sound built in to the motherboard.
I've read the howtos, the man pages, numerous tutorials, and searched the web
for help, but found no help.  There must be a clue here somewhere.

The machine is dual booted and sound works with windows.  cdplayer works with
Linux.  Moving the volume control on the taskbar makes a grating sound like a
noisy volume control or, if playing a cd it changes the volume.  So, not a
hardware problem.

sndconfig finds the trident, but when it plays the test sound it just goes
away - no sound, no prompt, no error message.  Control-c brings back my
prompt.  No error messages.

cat test.mp3 > /dev/dsp goes away for four seconds then prompt returns.  No
sound - no error messages.

/dev/sound/ has four files: dsp, mixer, mixer0, and mixer1

I installed alsa 5.10.  ./configure, make and make install work properly (I
guess) for alsa drivers and alsa lib, but when I try to configure alsa
utilities, I get the following:

./configure
checking for ALSA LDFLAGS...  -lasound
checking for libasound headers version >= 0.5.8... found.
checking for snd_cards in -lasound... no
configure: error: No linkable libasound was found.
[bruce@bertha alsa-utils-0.5.10]$

One howto says only alsa driver is needed - don't need alsa libs or alsa
utilities.

dmesg shows the following:

Trident 4DWave/SiS 7018/ALi 5451 PCI Audio, version 0.14.9, 16:59:43 Sep  6
2001PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:01.4
trident: SiS 7018 PCI Audio found at IO 0xcc00, IRQ 11
ac97_codec: AC97  codec, id: 0x434d:0x4941 (Unknown)
ac97_codec: AC97 Modem codec, id: 0x5349:0x4c21 (Unknown)

lsmod shows the following:
trident                26528   2  (autoclean)
ac97_codec              8832   0  (autoclean) [trident]
soundcore               4452   3  (autoclean) [trident]

modprobe trident produces the following message in /var/log/messages:
Mar 25 15:24:55 bertha modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
sound-service-0-6

Restarting the sound server with KDE control panel for device snd-trident
results in an information message:
error while initializing sound server
device snd-trident can't be opened (no such file or directory)
sound server will continue using null output device.

Same thing with device trident, ac97_codec, soundcore, alsa, dsa

On boot, I get a message to run artswrapper as root.  If I do this:

[root@bertha sounds]# artswrapper
>> running as realtime process now (priority 50)
/tmp/mcop-bruce is not owned by user
but- mcop-bruce is owned by bruce

In KDE control center - information - PCI is:
Multimedia audio controller
[description of audio section similar to what is in dmesg]
capabilities - <available only to root>

What am I missing?
bruce