I'm in the process of doing the same thing right now.  Anyone want to
debug some zone files?  But anyway....

As far as what you mean by "Linuxconf in 6.2 had a section to configure DNS",
I take it you mean that you'd like to set up the DNS client side.  This is
relatively simple (compared to server side of BIND/named).  It's basically
just adding the IP addresses of your local nameservers (your ISP knows this)
to the file /etc/resolv.conf in the format (3 maximum are allowed):

    nameserver aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

Check man resolv.conf for the full info.

First, though, I'd recommend getting BIND 9.2.0 from ISC if you don't
have it already.  Do /usr/sbin/named -v to find out.  RH7.2 ships w/
BIND9.1.3, so upgrade it.  See

ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.2.0/bind-9.2.0.tar.gz

for the tarred & gzipped version.  Then it's just:

    gunzip bind-9.2.0.tar.gz
    tar -x -f bind-9.2.0.tar
    cd /path/to/bind-9.2.0
    ./configure --with-openssl
    make
    make install

but you may want to less README for any other configure options.
BIND9.2.0 installs into /usr/local so I just did

    mv /usr/sbin/named /usr/sbin/named-9.1.3
    mv /usr/local/sbin/named /usr/local/sbin/named-9.2.0
    ln -s named-9.2.0 /usr/local/sbin/named
    ln -s /usr/local/sbin/named /usr/sbin/named

to maintain RH7.2 consistency.  If you have a global static IP
address, you may want to consider operating a DNS server yourself.
Here's a good reference, albeit a bit myopic, since the authors
seem to assume you know what they know already (in which case you
wouldn't be reading this), but it describes the config options:

http://www.nominum.com/resources/documentation/Bv9ARM.pdf
the BIND 9 Administrative Reference Manual ("hey, it's authoritative").

You may then want to add your IP address to the first nameserver
line of /etc/resolv.conf.  I've found this makes browsing soooooooo
much faster, it's amazing, particularly if your ISP is Qwest :/ .

You may also want to do something like run named as its own user
in a chroot jail for security; if so, see the Chroot-BIND-HOWTO.

If you have a webserver running off a global static IP and have
your own domain name and want to host your own namneserver, then
reading the section on zone files in the DNS and BIND O'reilly
book is a *GOOD IDEA*.  Or there's always bindconf....  See my

Michael