Great thanks...
Will see...
ism

-----Message d'origine-----
De : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]De la part de Gordon Messmer
Envoyé : vendredi 29 mars 2002 03:10
À : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Objet : Re: all RPMs ?

This is a MIME-formatted message.  If you see this text it means that your
E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_ascension.dragonsdawn.net-30635-1017367798-0001-2

On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 08:51, Ismael Touama wrote:
>=20
> I don't uinderstand one (and more...) thing in Linux implementation.
> Are all softwares installed as RPMs ? or is there another issue.

Not necessarily.  You may compile software from source and install it
with the standard (./configure; make; make install) build method.=20
However, software installed without the package manager (rpm) don't get
any of its benefits.

If you install from source, you can not verify the files using rpm -V.=20
You also can't remove them using rpm -e. =20

Most software "makefiles" have a rule to uninstall the software.  If you
still have the source tree around, you can 'cd' there and 'make
uninstall'.

> I had probleme with MM siftware (brahms) and in fact I don't have any
> needs of multimedia player,viewer, listener... on my server.

I'm not sure I follow that statement.  Red Hat Linux includes xmms for
playing mp3 and ogg files (among others...).  If you want to view video
files, your best bet is to install xine or mplayer.  You can find them
on http://freshmeat.net.  Xine provides rpm packages for RHL 7.2.

> So when rpm -qa | grep brahms -> nothing found

That's to be expected if you compiled the software yourself.

> I know I made a bad installation in the sense I installedll packages from
> the CD...
> but I run a server !! So what's the matter ?! Can it be swap proc system =
?

Not following this either.  Installing packages from the CD is a proper
way to install software.  What do you mean by 'swap proc system'?

> By the way lets comme to my first problem How can i uninstall a program o=
r a
> soft
> that rpm -qa | grep thisFprogram don't find...

You don't.  rpm manages software installed or packages in rpm format.=20
If you compile it yourself, you have to manage it yourself, too.  See if
the software provides for 'make uninstall'.