On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, David Talkington wrote:

> Damned if I remember.  I got most of what I needed from the O'Reilly `X
> Window System Administrator's Guide', along with some Red Hat docs on
> gdm, which has a pretty straightforward configuration file.  I played
> with it for a month or so, and then dumped it because its cleartext
> nature had no future on my LAN.  X isn't one of my strengths, so I don't
> know if it's feasible to secure remote xdm logins.

Don't bother. Use secure shell. Not only does it get rid of the
cleartext problem, but it's overall just easier to use. If ssh is
set up to forward X and your remote system has an X Server, start
the X Server on the "client" machine, log into the server with ssh
(which will normally give you a terminal window) and any X program
you run from the terminal window will be displayed on the "client"
machine.

I know, that sounds confusing so for example, at work I have a
Windows box with Exceed X Server. At home I have a RH6 system
without X running. I connect to the home machine from work using
the MindTerm (java) ssh client. (I have to go through a http only
proxy--Mindterm can make ssh connections through an http proxy or
firewall.) After I log in I have a normal vt100 terminal session.
If I type netscape & at the prompt, netscape will be started on
my server at home, but displayed on my MS Windows machine at work.
(I used Netscape as an example--you probably would not be very happy
with the performance of Netscape this way--but it impresses the
hell out of Windows users.)

I haven't played much with the VNC server on Linux, but I don't
believe you have to have gdm or xdm running. What little I played
with it I had an X session (started locally on the server with
startx) already running on the server--Monday I'll kill the X
session and see if the VNC server still accepts connections)

-ray