On Fri, 2002-04-05 at 12:55, Jeff Graves wrote:

> it, but it didn't help. If I run netstat -otp after trying to connect
> from behind the linksys is looks like it is getting stuck in the
> SYN_SENT stage waiting for a reply from the client on the auth port.
> Once established the is no problem. Where do I start?

For sendmail, disable ident lookups.  According to the docs, add this to
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc and rebuild your .cf:

define(`confTO_IDENT',`0s')dnl

For POP/IMAP, the fix may not be as easy.  It's probably xinetd that's
doing ident lookups, and documentation doesn't suggest a way to turn off
such lookups.  As someone else suggested, try to configure the Linksys
router to refuse connections rather than dropping/ignoring them.