On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 11:50:54AM -0700, David Talkington wrote:

> Stephen L Arnold wrote:
>
> >ntp can handle part-time connections just fine,
>
> Yes, but the advantage of using clockspeed under it (clockspeed isn't a
> time server) is that it compensates for hardware clock skew while it's
> offline.  If you then sync ntpd with the hardware clock, you can have a
> very accurate time server even after months offline.  Pretty keen,
> though not as much of interest in the post-POTS era.  Still, comes in
> very handy for low-budget public access sites with only a dirty phone
> line for occasional dialup.

Yes, Chrony does that (as I mentioned). An additional cool feature in
Chrony is that it also can monitor the inaccuracy of the RTC (hardware
realtime clock) in your PC, and offset the clock appropriately on
power up. so, not only does it deal with the clock drifting while the
system is powered on, but also when powered off. Cool, eh?

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----------------------------
                       I can do all things through Christ