On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 08:10:35AM -0400, Joe Nestlerode wrote:
> > KDE 3.0 breaks binary compatibility, so
> > Red Hat can not release it for <=7.2.
>
> Could you please clarify "breaks binary compatibility"?  Does that mean
> certain programs bundled in 7.2 and prior releases will not run under
> KDE 3.0?

Not only does KDE 3.0 break binary compability, but it also breaks (in some
cases), *source* compability.  Do a quick search on either google.com or
dot.kde.org for qt3 compability and you'll find a bunch of hits.  I suspect
it would be possible for Red Hat to release KDE 3 packages that work with all
of their own products, but what about something else you may have downloaded
that relies on KDE 2.x?  That might no longer work, and to make matters worse,
you might not even be able to recompile the sources and have it work without
making source changes.

Refer to this page dedicated to the changes you have to apply to programs
written for KDE 2.x if you want to port them to KDE 3.0:
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/kdelibs/KDE3PORTING.html

I'm not trying to slam QT nor KDE - they've made the decisions they felt they
needed to make and they know better than I do the impact of those decisions.

Cheers,
        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA