On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 12:38:12PM -0400, Anthony E. Greene wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Michael George wrote:
> >I have a small network and I'd like to coordinate the time on that
> >network. I've already been using rdate to weekly sync my server's time
> >with that of a public time server.
>
> So use rdate on the clients to have them sync with the server. You may have
> to enable the "time" service in inetd/xinetd on the server.

That's what I thought...  NTP is more oriented to syncing in both directions,
and I may do that whenever I'm connected to the 'net 24/7.  However, right
now I have my server initiating the PPP connection and running rdate once a
week.  Then I'd like to have my other system(s) sync with that machine.

I tried to set "disable = no" in my xinet.d/time[,-udp] files and restart
xinetd.

I then told my Mac OS X system to use my server (specified the IP address to
eliminate the name resolution issue) as a NTP server and to sync with it.

However, when I tell that system to set the time, I get:
        Synchronization Failed.  Your NTP server may not be responding.

So, I'm about ready to set up the ntp package, but I think that's overkill.

Normally, I might be a bit more skeptical of the Mac, but w/ OS X, it's
basically a BSD system and I'll be it works.  So, I think there's something
I'm missing on the linux end.

My /etc/xinet.d/time files looks like:
# default: off
# version, which is used by rdate.

service time
{
        type            = INTERNAL
        id              = time-stream
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        user            = root
        wait            = no
        disable         = no
}

My /etc/xinet.d/time-udp files looks like:
# default: off
# version.

service time
{
        type            = INTERNAL UNLISTED
        id              = time-dgram
        socket_type     = dgram
        protocol        = udp
        user            = root
        wait            = yes
        disable         = no
        port            = 37
}

But my guess is that's what yours look like.  Do you know if I have something
wrong here?  I haven't done anything but change these files and restart
xinetd.  Maybe there's something more I need to do...

Thanks for your help!

-Michael

--
In light of the terrorist attack on the U.S.:
        They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary