On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:40:29 +0200
Wolfgang Mayerwieser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thank you very much for your answer, Werner.
> Unfortunately, this does not help me:
>
> I want to do it from a RH7.2 kickstart file, so traversing through a
> graphical interface is of no use for me, just modifying a file or
> whatever can be done in the kickstart's "post" section is possible.
> (We are using the default login screen which RH7.2 installs for run
> level 5.)

The default desktop in RedHat is Gnome. The file that changes it to KDE is
/etc/sysconf/desktop. Make Desktop="kde"

> Any other ideas?

For KDE, edit /usr/share./config/kdmrc. There you can disable the shutdown button,
enable it for root only, or set it for consoleonly. Do a search for kdmrc in the KDE
on-line help browser.

You may also want to remove/disable the kdeswitchdesk feature to keep the users from
changing desktops.

Sorry, I don't know much about Gnome. But the ability to reboot as a user is scary; I
tried it and was amazed that it works! There has to be away to shut it off.
I'd be interested to know myself...

              Regards,

                Tom