I've got RH7.1 running on a PenguinComputing Altus1240 (2x1.2 Athlons,
2GB ram), last night the system's log file starting spewing the
following kernel failures:
Apr 11 22:40:00 altus03 kernel: __alloc_pages: 1-order allocation failed.
Apr 11 22:45:00 altus03 kernel: __alloc_pages: 1-order allocation failed.
Apr 11 22:50:00 altus03 kernel: __alloc_pages: 1-order allocation failed.

This server is under almost no load, although there are about 190
processes in ps -ef at any given time (tomcat!). I have found numerous
references to this error on deja, but no clear cut answer as to why or
what the fix is. There are no core files on the system. I was able to
login to the server via ssh, but ps, top, kill all hung when I tried to
execute them. Likewise reboot and shutdown accomplished nothing and I
had to hard-reset the box to clear it up. Has anyone seen this, and if
so is there a definitive kernel fix? A configuration problem? Is there
something I can do to better track down the problem if it occurs again?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

--
Matthew Boeckman                        (816) 777-2160
Manager - Systems Integration           Saepio Technologies