Brian wrote:
----------------->>>>
I did, service start vncserver and it comes back with an ok. I have a
firewall inbound to my Ethernet segment, but I have it set to ACCEPT
everything comining inbound.

iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -j ACCEPT

Is anyone running VNC from there Windows to Linux?  I can get working
from Linux to Windows.
----------------->>>>

Just because it says it started does not mean it started.  I would focus on
that first, not the automatic starting of the server with your service start
routine or /etc/sysconfig/vncserver.

The first thing you need to do is set a password (man vncpasswd) which you
do by:

  vncpasswd

This puts a file passwd in the ~/.vnc subdirectory.  Then run the server
(man vncserver) which you do like:

  vncserver :2 -geometry 800x600

Now you don't have to set the port (which will defaults to next free display
number, on my system it would be 1) or the geometry (defaults to current X
geometry).

Now go into ~/.vnc directory and you should see a few files:

  <your system name here>:2.err
  <your system name here>:2.log
  <your system name here>:2.pid
  passwd
  xstartup

Check your err and log files for information on the startup of the server.
If the pid file is missing the server didn't start or if it is there it
might have been there before your current starting of the server (from a
invalid shutdown) and again not started. The log files will explain what
went wrong.  Note: the creation of a server will create 2 temp files that
cause the same problems of the pid file.  If they are there then the system
will think it is already running a session.  Make sure that your use the
proper kill command (vncserver -kill :<port>) to shut it down.  service
vncserver stop will do that to.  I could probably blab on and on about vnc
usage and nuances.  I don't use it that much since getting into ssh.  But
speaking of that you should set up ssh (with keys) and use vncviewer -tunnel
<server name>:<port> to connect through an ssh tunnel.

Once you get that working then you can move to automatically starting your
server.  I use the /etc/sysconfig/vncserver (called from vncserver init.d).

I also setup a little vnc.ini which holds my defaults and then use a bash
script to manually start and stop a special server.  Also I have another
script that checks the connection and if its down, tells it to start a
vncserver and then reconnect.  I really don't use them anymore since RH
included the service with vnc, in fact, I just looked for them and they seem
buried in my cvs repository somewhere.