i'm looking for some basic input from those who are working on OpenSource
projects like apache, snort, giFT and the linux kernel itself.  this may
sound odd, but what exactly is the motivation?  what compells you to work on
something and make sure it meets release dates, and then publish this stuff
online complete with layout and graphics, create binaries, documentation,
and in all build a funcional product?  there's no financial reward that i
know of, and the time and effort poured into some programs seem to outweigh
(at least from my admittedly ignorant perspective) the benefits.

is the intention to establish a resume for yourself and/or a reputation for
contribution valuable code to worthy projects? or is the motivation more
selfless leaning to some sort of sudo-communist ideal?

for my own part, any contribution i make to the OpenSource community is in
part a sort of "thank-you" for all the incredible software available, and
part in hopes of contributing to a new form of human development lacking the
capitalist slant.

i'm interested to know the motivations of others in the community...

daniel a. g. quinn
starving programmer

"one world, one web, one program" -  microsoft promotional ad
"ein volk, ein reich, ein fuhrer" -  adolf hitler