On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 19:58:44 -0500
"Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> quietly intimated:

> Greetings:
>
> I'm starting out with a fresh 7.1 box.  I wanted to apply all the
> applicable updated rpms.  I compared what was available in
> ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.1/en/os/i386/ with what I had installed as
> shown with rpm -qa
>
> FIrst I just downloaded them and tried to install them in "ls" order.
> That didn't seem to go well.  So I started all over (fresh load again
> from backup/restore).  This time I tried them in the order of their
> date, oldest installed first.  I still got dependency problems.
>
> In particular I got dependency problems when I got to these:
>
> cpp-2.96-85.i386.rpm
> gcc-2.96-85.i386.rpm
> gcc-c++-2.96-85.i386.rpm
> libstdc++-2.96-85.i386.rpm
> libstdc++-devel-2.96-85.i386.rpm
>
> They seemed to depend on each other.
>
> My question is, what should I be doing to properly install all these
> rpm updates?  Is using "--nodep" acceptable?  It makes me vervous as I
> feel like I'm overriding a warning I should not override.
>
> Is there a particular order for these so I won't get dependency
> problems and if there is, how do I get it?
>
> Thanks very much for the help,
> Scott

Put them all in a single directory and then there are two ways to do it.

1. rpm -Fvh *

This will update only what you already have installed and ignore
anything extra. The potential problem is that sometimes files get moved
to another package. Sometimes they get moved into a package you don't
already have installed. This may fail due to dependencies in this case.

2. rpm -Uvh *

This will update/install everything in the directory. The downside is
that it will install/upgrade everything in the directory, even if you
don't already have them installed.

Actually there's a third option: run rhn_register and register the
machine (free). Then run up2date and let it handle things. Good for
everyday use. But, if you need a lot of updates and you're on a dial-up,
might be a problem with having them downloaded and taking a long time to
do it. In that case, I'd settle for 1 or 2, then register and use
up2date regularly.

--
The more you complain the longer God lets you live.