Hi,
and thanks for your fast responses :)

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> > But could someone explain in human understandable words, what
> > this part exactly means?
>
> It redirects both "stdout" (standard out) and "stderr" (standard error) to
> the file /dev/null which is "never never land".

I don't see the connector between '> /dev/null' and '2>&1' ...
For example:
cat /dev/null > some_file
means - if I understood it correctly -  that the system reads
'/dev/null' and writes it to 'some_file' with a little help
from '>', which I call here the connector between both
parts of them. --- But what is the connection between
/dev/null' and '2>&1'

Thanks in anticipation
Wolfgang

=====
--
Tom Waits going Casablanca with Alice :) .. :
2 new Waits songs (mp3):    http://www.anti.com/