From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Josep M.
Sent: 15 April 2002 14:07
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: root / stuck on boot !

Hello.

If You use RH7.2 there is a file ./autofsck in / directory that will do automatically
Previous versions I think donīt have these file,just put inside the options desired

Maybe in future you can install this and donīt need any user help.

Take a look at:
http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/ext3/trust.html

·This feature is implemented using the /.autofsck file — if the root user removes that file during normal operation, the system will offer the choice to check file system consistency at boot time. If /.autofsck is missing and the user elects to force file system consistency checks, the effect will be the same as if the /forcefsck file existed.

Josep

Begin of Quote Greg Conway :
Hi all,

Quick question here, might well have shot myself in the foot but we shall
see!

I have a Linux Server (about 200 miles away) that has crashed and hung on
startup. I need to enter the root password so I can run fsck manually

Problem is, I don't want to give the users the root password!

There is a second root user on the machine, say root2, with root
equivalence.

My simple question is, is there any way I can use this second user (root2)
instead of the main root user when the system comes up and says "enter root
password for maintenance" ?

Like I said, I've probably shot myself in the foot here!

Many many thanks if anybody can help me!

Regards,

Greg Conway.

This is a confidential communication between sender and addressee. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender and do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others. Any opinions or views expressed are those of the individual, and unless otherwise stated, are not those of the company. All attachments and intellectual rights remain the property of GML (NT) Limited.