On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 06:52:09PM +0530, Ashwin Khandare wrote:
>> 1) How can I automatically connect to my ISP and start my firewall
>> (Firestarter) on a system restart?
>You can enter the path of Firestarter script in /etc/rc.local .This will
>fire you firewall whenever the system boots up.

A better way to do this is to get your firewall running the way to like
(firestarter, custom rules, whatever), then dump the rules to the ipchains
config file:

  service ipchains save

Then make sure ipchains is started in the runlevels that include
networking (levels 3-5):

  chkconfig --levels 345 ipchains on

Now when you boot, ipchains will run a standard initscript and read your
rules from it's config file (/etc/sysconfig/ipchains). You can change your
rules at the command line and save them so that they are used each time
the machine boots.

I have a custom firewall script that I use to configure my firewall. The
last command of the script saves the rules using the "service" command.
The script uses the long options (--append instead of -a, --protocol
instead of -p). That is much easier to read and maintain.

Tony
--
Anthony E. Greene <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
OpenPGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26  C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D