Rob Dege,

On Monday April 15, 2002 02:54, you said something about:
> Okay, I've got RedHat 7.2 running damn well.  I just installed quake3, and
> that works just as well, with the exception that I have NO SOUND!
>
> The error I get is that /dev/dsp is either busy, or I don't have
> permissions to use it.  I changed /dev/dsp so that I have rw access:
>
> crw-rw-rw- root       root            /dev/dsp
>
> Even when I try to run the program as root (via sudo), I still get the same
> error.  Yet I can use xmms, mplayer, and KDE with no problems.  Yes, I made
> sure no other programs were accessing the device when I started.
>
> Any suggestions?

Untested with quake3, but this should work...

artsdsp <program_to_run>

The reason...

KDE _does_ have the /dev/dsp tied up. arts is running. So you have to have
something pipe the output into arts. That program is artsdsp.

--
Brian Ashe                                                     CTO
Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]