On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 10:35:08PM -0500, Bret Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 10:42, José Romildo Malaquias wrote:

> > > Because there's no good app to handle them.
> >
> > The application that used to work with RPM files, letting one to
> > look inside it and operate on their contents is gmc, not distributed
> > anymore with Red Hat Linux. Remains the Midnight Commander (mc), a very
> > good text based file manager capable of that. In fact, gmc is a
> > like a GUI version of mc.
>
> Really?  on a brand new rh7.2 install:
> [bhughes@zenon bhughes]$ rpm -qf $(which gmc)
> gmc-4.5.51-36
> [bhughes@zenon bhughes]$ uname -r
> 2.4.9-31
> [bhughes@zenon bhughes]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)

I was wrong. It is still there. But based on the current Skipjack beta 2
(version 2.7.93), gmc will not be in the next Red Hat Linux release:

$ rpm --dbpath /usr/lib/rpmdb/i386-redhat-linux/redhat -q gmc
package gmc is not installed

$ rpm -q --changelog mc
[...]
* Fri Jan 25 2002 Havoc Pennington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

- rebuild in rawhide
- fix prefix/share -> datadir
- comment out gmc/mcserv subpackages, place order for asbestos suit

> You also might want to look at rpm2cpio if you want to look into an rpm

Yes, although in a awkward manner.

Romildo
--
Prof. José Romildo Malaquias               Departamento de Computação
http://iceb.ufop.br/~romildo       Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto