On Sat, 2002-04-20 at 17:12, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Not exactly.  There are several common sets of regex rules.  The one
> in find is not as powerfull as what I called the `POSIX' set.

Find uses the POSIX regex functions in the C library, not some special,
weak code.

> > know that Perl provides both, and if it does I don't recall how they're
> > differentiated.  Other applications do.  Python, for instance
> > differentiates them thusly:
> > http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/matching-searching.html
> >
> > Find requires a "match" like Python's, rather than a "search" like perl
> > or grep.
>
> Now, I may have used the wrong term (POSIX) and still do not really
> know what constitutes a posix legal regex.

man 7 regex

> However the notation used
> with find is weaker in several ways (As I mentioned in my 1st post in
> this thread) than what I referred to as POSIX.

Your misunderstanding of a regex match does not constitute a weakness in
find. :)

> In the context of the original post, the comparison was to perl regex.

Perl searches for a regex in a string, rather than matching a pattern on
a string.

> The usage in find would better be described as regex-like.  Since it
> is weaker in several ways, and lacks some of the more powerfull
> syntax.  It is a nice addition none-the-less.  I only said it isn't
> the real mcCoy.

It doesn't lack any syntax.  It *is* the real McCoy.

> Far as I know there is no stipulation on a regex to match in any
> special way.

That's sorta up to the tool that provides the regex match/search.  It's
not uncommon to differentiate between a search and a match.

> For example:
>     touch aardvark
>     find . -regex 'a+ardvark'
>     nothing

Do it right:
$ find . -regex './a+ardvark'
./aardvark

'a+ardvark' doesn't match the full path to ./aardvark which is clearly
required, as noted by the man page.

> or
>     find . -regex 'a*rdvark'
>     nothing