At 2:04 PM -0500 23/4/02, Matthew Boeckman wrote:
>did you compile this kernel yourself? If so, did you add firewall as a module?

didn't compile myself - stock 7.2 kernel (latest update) which is same as on test
server...

>what is the contents of /etc/modules.conf and the output of lsmod

nothing in modules.conf about firewall or iptables, but there is nothing in
modules.conf on my test server at home where iptables is working fine (again stock 7.2
kernel)

lsmod shows ipchains, no iptables - noticed that lsmod on my test server looks very
different - all sorts of iptables stuff in there

>sounds like the ip_tables module isn't properly loaded in your kernel (that's what
>the insmod errors are telling you)

hmm... I thought as much, but also thought that they didn't need to be loaded - since
the same setup works on my test server...

actually did just notice that I have both 2.4.9-7 and 2.4.9-31 on my test server - but
only 2.4.9-31 on the one giving me problems.

shouldn't having installed iptables from RH 7.2 rpms (and done all updates) mean that
the server is set up to use iptables?

is there a simple way (no kernel recompiling please!) to sort modules problem out...
if it is even a modules problem?

hmmm...