> I'm not at all sure why you'd want to do that.  First,
> running vncserver as root is asking for trouble.  (For that
> matter, habitually logging in as root is also asking for
> trouble.)  VNC is not, by itself, a secure protocol at all.
> Second, I don't understand the relationship between being
> logged in at the console of this machine and desiring a
> remote connection to the same machine, so I wonder what
> problem you're solving
> here.

Just to learn if I can do it. I work in a hospital and we are looking at
the possibility of adding Linux machines into the mix (why not? We
already have winbloze and Novell). We won't do that though until we can
perform disaster recovery (we don't need a production machine that dies
and then we can't fix it for obvious reasons) I have all this setup at
home and sure I could roll my chair over to the other machine, log in,
and do what I need to do, but at the hospital, the machine may be 5
miles away at our second campus.

> Sounds like you have some reading to do, my friend!  Start
> with a good
> bash book.  You'll find shell programming to have about the same
> relationship to DOS batch files that a scientific calculator
> has to an
> abacus.  ;-)

That's what I used to think about DOS as comparing it to my original
learning on a TI-99/4A so I ain't skeered. ;)

> As for startup programs, the uninitiated should probably
> stick to adding things to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, and not mess
> with the init scripts.  But please grab a good Unix
> administration book (you can get lots of recommendations here
> if you want them), and be paranoid enough to not
> expose this box to the internet while you're experimenting.

Everything is behind an IPCop box and I'm bridging over to that machine
from my internal network and all the port in question are blocked from
the outside world - and since this is just my personal stuff, I ghost
everything every Sunday 'just in case'. :)

> Good luck, and have fun ... -d

Isn't this why we got into computers in the first place. :)

Thanks for the info - I'll try and find a good book on bashing Linux,
err rather running the Bash IN Linux.

Jim