On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 20:20, Peter Kiem wrote:
> > more than 70 percent of attacks were launched through
> > port 80, typically wide open on most firewalls. So,
>
> Surely this would be directed towards that HUGE security hole we know as
> Microsoft IIS?
>
> I would be interested to know what percentage of those successful attacks on
> port 80 were Apache and what was IIS.

I am sure that is the case but improper use of cgi scripts, and know
exploits do exist on lnux too.  What I thought was interesting was the
fact that a know openssh was explioted in less than an hour.

I guess I just wanted to raise awareness again that jsut because you
have a brand spanking new server DON'T wait to upgrade it until tommorow
:)  Or that just because you are not using windows you are safe.  You (
and I mean the general you and not you specifically) are not.

In fact I never let any machine even see the outside world until all
errata updates are applied and I have disabled all the stuff that I
don't need, and tweeked my config scripts especially sshd_config.

Of course I don't use up2date either so I get all the latest stuff right
from my server on the internal lan.

Now I know whay I have bee seeing all those "Don't panic someone just
version tested your sshd" or what ever they say.

I just found it interesting especially since the bugzilla notifications
that came out today. I do use sudo for instance but at least it is a
local only expliot :)

Boy I wish evoution had spel chek

Bret