On Sat, 2002-04-27 at 20:16, Bret Hughes wrote:

> Exactly what I was thinking.  That is why I sugested he send the outputs
> of ifconfig and route to make sure that the terms he was using were
> correct.  There may be a reason that they need to be on two subnets but
> if so there should be a router between them.  Otherwise, as you suggest,
> simply giving them both an ipaddress oin the same subnet would indeed
> fix the problem and clean up the mess.

It would only fix half of the problem, if it were possible to do so.
(If his provider requires DHCP, it might later lead to ip conflicts)
Giving his machines numbers on the same network would still leave open
the possibility that his cable modem is broadcasting traffic over the
cable network, leading to congestion and security exposure.