> Can anybody please guide me as to which kernel version is the
> most stable one ? As I can see that there are lots of versions available
on the
> web
> but .. what should be the compromise ?How to select the kernel version
> acccording to
> specific requirement...?

Use up2date and install the latest kernel that Red Hat offers.  It *will* be
stable.  It may not have all the latest bleeding edge features, but the odds
are pretty good that you don't need.  Red Hdat does a lot of testing of the
kernel to make sure it's good for just about everybody.

After working with Linux for a few years, I've come to the conclusion that
experimenting with new kernels is a make-work project.  Unless you
absolutely need new features that your current kernel doesn't support, only
upgrade to fix security releases and then wait until you do a major upgrade
(eg. 7.1 to 7.2) to replace your kernel. I've got a bunch of systems at work
still on a 2.2 kernel, and they're rock solid.

Ed Wilts
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]