----- Original Message -----
From: "Chad and Doria Skinner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> My linux box writes to the disk at about 5 - 15 second intervals even when
> no one is logged in. Is there any way to prevent this so that the disks
will
> spin down into standby mode?

This is not a easy question.

You've probably running cron which has to run somthing.  cron causes
/etc/mtab's access time to be update which causes ext3 to flush the hard
drive which causes the hard drive actitivity which causes the hard drive to
never go to sleep.

vixie-cron is not fam_sgi compatible and therefor your hard drive will never
sleep.  However, you can stop the cron daemon.  Maybe Paul Vixie will start
using fam.

furthermore, restarting xinetd will loose all rpc connected sockets with fam
which will then bomb out apps.  Until xinetd gets fixed, fam is almost
useless.  They're working on this bug I believe.

-eric wood