> From: "David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Setting up sftp.
> Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 03:03:56 +0800
>
> Hi Ed,
>
> First of all, yes! You guess correctly. My error message was "Received
> message too long". I followed your suggestion and found the problem to be my
> .bashrc file in which I did echo something. That's causing the corruption.
> However, now the problem is that I want to echo that thing and still be able
> to get sftp working. Is there a way to achieve that? I am looking for a way
> for the script to detect the presence of an actual tty before echoing. Is
> that possible?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> David

Well, one common way to do this is to use the presence/absence of a prompt
string to distinguish between interactive and non-interactive shells.  You
can check $prompt in csh/tcsh-type shells or $PS1 in sh/bash-type shells.
You could have the echo set up something like this:
   if [ "$PS1" != "" ]; then echo "your string goes here" ; fi

--
    pete peterson
    Teradyne, Inc.; 7 Technology Park Drive; Westford, MA 01886-0033