On Mon, 6 May 2002, Patrick Beart wrote:

>       New word:  "Firewall". Get one.
>
>       I recommend the appliance variety, rather than using firewall
> software(*).
>

> Patrick Beart
>
> (*)  Mensa members and other hair-splitters:  "appliance" = firewall
> software installed in separate computer/device box. "Software" =
> firewall software installed in the same box as other services.

Perhaps "dedicated firewall" could be interchanged with "appliance", and
instead of the ambiguous use of "software firewall", we could use what you
used for the definition, instead.

And instead of saying "rather than using..." you should say "in addition
to using..."

Eh?

I mean, if you're really concerned about the hair splitters, you might
want to try using terms that won't end up having their hairs split. <G>

Just a thought.