turns out the password prompt i was getting was due to the fact that my
win98 box was sending encrypted password info, while samba was expecting
unencrypted.  the only problem i have now, is that my home dir
(/home/gabriel) is appearing as to shares (homes and gabriel).

now my smb.conf looks like this:

[global]
 security  = user
 workgroup  = workgroup