On Thursday 09 May 2002 01:58 pm, Henning, Brian wrote:
> Hello-
> I need to make a boot disk that can mount ext2 partitons and that has
> an editor so i can edit files. Can someone point me in the right
> direction so i can learn how to create such a boot disk.
> thanks,

Details on creating your own boot disk can be found here:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/index.html

I use a root/boot disk I put together with the above howto, busybox, and
the uClibc library. It will boot in as little as 4M of RAM and contains
roughly 90 common tools. It's used as a boot disk for one of the RULE
project installers, but functions well as a root/boot disk on it's own.

It has both vi and nano (a clone of pico) available as editors, and can
mount ext2 partitions. Here's a list of the binaries available:

[mfratoni@paradox filesystem]$ ls bin/ sbin/ usr/bin/ usr/sbin/

bin/:
ash      chmod  date  false   hostname  mkdir  mv    rm     sleep  true
chown  dd    grep    kill      mknod  ping  rmdir  sync   umount  cat
cp     df    gunzip  ln        more   ps    sed    tar   uname  chgrp
cpio   echo  gzip    ls        mount  pwd   sh     touch  vi zcat

sbin/:
cfdisk  halt      init    loadkmap  mke2fs  modprobe    reboot  route
swapon fdisk   ifconfig  insmod  lsmod     mkswap  pivot_root  rmmod
swapoff

usr/bin/:
clear    du    free  killall  reset     tail  tty     wc     whoami
basename  cut      env   head  md5sum   rpm2cpio  tee   uniq    wget
xargs  chvt      dirname  find  id    nano     sort      test  uptime
which  yes

usr/sbin/:
chroot

If you want to try it and see what is possible, it's here:
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/slinky-boot.img

You can write the image to a floppy like so:
dd if=slinky-boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

Hope that helps,
- --
- -Michael

Red Hat Linux 7.2 in 8M of RAM: http://www.rule-project.org/