I once had a problem where I would get terminal stalls with certain hosts
(web mostly since that was easiest to test at the time). This dates back
to the changeover from kernel branch 2.0 to 2.2. It was suggested that I
add the -vj option to my pppd calls (of course I'm talking dialup, here).
That fixed the problems. I then experienced flakey network behavior with
the first few 2.4 releases. (up to about 2.4.4 or so). Everything after
that seemed to resolve all of the network and VM problems (the VM issues
existed until about 2.4.6 or so. So basically, since you're on 7.0, make
sure you have one of the newer kernels (if you go tarball, stay away from
2.4.11, 2.4.14 (I think was mentioned), and 2.4.15) :)