Trying to slip in some OT questions by using an unusual subject line.

But It is actually part of the possible answer.

I've never tinkered with cd read/write equipment.  And a little
bewildered by the plethora of equipment out there.

I want to be able to write to a writable cd.  Both data and music.
Read it etc.  Hopefully in a way that is most likely to work on other
equipment.

My feeble understanding is that this would require possibly two pieces
of equipment.

I haven't done my home work really since I don't really know what it
takes to do this.

So, I hoped maybe someone experienced in this would tell me what
equipment is required and what is known to work with Linux without
major hacking/headaches.

I have always had and all IDE setup so not really familiar with scsi
hookups either.  Unless there are major advantages for cd read/write
specifically, I'd as soon stay with IDE, and not have to add scsi cards
or whatever.