"Henning, Brian" wrote:
> I have two separate questions. How do you know where to turn on/off services
> like ftp and ipchains? I know there is stuff in /etc/rc.d/ i just don't know
> how to tell what is what in there.

Some services can be started/stopped with "service <srv_name>
<start|stop>". Others, you have to edit the control files in
/etc/xinetd.d and reload xinetd with "service xinetc reload".

> I want to install some rpm's but i don't know where i should get them from.
> Is it common practice to install rpm's from the cd or do people tend to
> download them from a website? Can they be installed directly from a remote
> site? I am familiar with freebsd and I usually install remotely.

Both. I usually install from CD and then use up2date to make sure I'm
running on the latest version.

Cheers,
--
Javier Gostling