I just issued a "cat /proc/devices" at a KDE konsole session after which the
konsole disappeared. Every time I start a new konsole it appears and then
closes immediately. Neither xterm or rxvt open either. Worse, switching to a
VT  I login and get immediately logged off! For any userid! So I am afraid to
logoff or reboot in case I cannot login again. There are no messages in the
syslog except the normal session start/close messages. So any idea what has
got hosed? It's not a problem with ~/.bash_history because it happens for all
users. FWIW, this is a RH7.2 system with a 2.4.18 kernel. The password file
is okay because there are no error messages. I think it happens when bash
tries to start.
TIA
-Robin.
Robin Atwood.

"This tag line left intentionally blank"