At 9:24 PM -0500 5/20/02, ABrady wrote:
>On Mon, 20 May 2002 18:38:55 -0700
>Patrick Beart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>  >  ...snip...
>  > at boot up (Enigma), I get the sound server "Informational"
>  > alert that there was a problem initializing the sound driver. Device
>  > "/dev/dsp can't be opened (no such device)", blah, blah, blah.
>  > ...snip...
>  > found the info on running "sndconfig". Trouble is that following
>>  instructions (to type "sndconfig" at the command line) resulted in
>>  the message ...
>  >            "bash: sndconfig: command not found."
>>  ...snip...
>

>echo $PATH
>
>I'd bet /usr/sbin isn't in there. And if you logged in as $USER and used
>su to get to root, /sbin won't be there either.

        Well that appears to be incorrect:

---------

/usr/lib/courier/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/patrick/bin
                                                                       ~~~~~~~
----------

>Need to edit
>~/.bash_profile (for the user) or /etc/profile (for the system, my
>preferred method) and add /usr/sbin into the obvious path statement near
>the top. Neither will get it permanently assigned everywhere until you
>logout and back in.

        "/usr/sbin" seems to be in the "path statement" on the system ...

------------
# Path manipulation
if [ `id -u` = 0 ] && ! echo $PATH | /bin/grep -q "/sbin" ; then
     PATH=/sbin:$PATH
fi

if [ `id -u` = 0 ] && ! echo $PATH | /bin/grep -q "/usr/sbin" ; then
     PATH=/usr/sbin:$PATH
fi

------------

        ... So, I'm still confused.

        I log in as me (my user), then "su" (no dash) to root, when
needed, BTW.

Patrick Beart

Web Architecture  &  "iWeb4Biz"         503-774-8280       Portland, OR
Internet Consulting, Intelligent Web site Development & Secure site Hosting.
http://www.WebArchitecture.com/

"This is an era when nonsense has become acceptable and sanity is
controversial."
                                      - Thomas Sowell