On 12:53 23 May 2002, Hidong Kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| I'm running Netscape 4.78 on Red Hat 7.2.  I've occasionally had
| sporadic Netscape bus error crashes.  Now I get a consistent bus error
| Netscape crash when I try to do a search on Ebay.  I can go to any page
| on Ebay, but when I try to search for items with their search engine, I
| get an immediate bus error crash.  What causes Netscape bus errors, and
| what could be the reason I get these without fail in Ebay searches?

Genericly, a bus error is a misaligned memory access.  It is almost always
the result of using a pointer while contains garbage instead of a valid
address. And therefore, it generally merely means "this program has a
bug in it". Without the source (and some familiarity with the source)
you won't get much more specific than that.

Now, to netscape bus errors:

I have occasionally found them to be associated with cached data.
Try:
        - shut down netscape completely
        - rm -r ~/.netscape/cache
        - fire up netscape again
        - revisit ebay
Of course, assorted other things will crash netscape.
If this persists, give Mozilla 1.0rc2 a try. I'm using 1.0rc1 very
happily.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

[The Press] had tried to contact usenet but that no one had been available
for comment.  That's odd, I thought, if there's one thing you can say about
usenet, its that there's usually someone available for comment.
        - Paul Taylor