On 11:28 23 May 2002, daniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| i've made this mistake of executing the following in the / directory:
|   chmod 755 *
| oops

Hmm. Not too dangerous though.

| how do i put things back the way they were?
| looking at another linux box i'm using, it looks like everything has those
| permissions anyway save a few:
|   /root        rwxr-x---
|   /lost+found  rwx------
|   /proc        r-x------

These first three are easy, yes?

|   /tmp         rwxrwxrwt
| what's the "t" at the end of tmp's permissions for?

On directories, the sticky ("t") bit means that only the owner of a file
can delete or rename it. This protects people sharing a directory like
/tmp from certain attacks based on moving a file sideways and inserting
a subversive on in its place.

| how do i put it back?

chmod 777 /tmp
chmod +t /tmp

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

What's the point of having Nebraska if we can't put it to its highest and
best use?       - Patrick Bedard arguing for a 100 mph speed limit