On Fri, 24 May 2002 17:56:50 -0400 (EDT)
Jianping Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> When I try to stop a process of backing up a files to tape drive by
> using tar i always fails.
> For example:
> i use ps -aux . I got following process .
> root 1484 0.1 0.0 1788 612 tty1 D 17:07 0:01 tar xvzf /dev/sto /home
>
> when i tried to kill it by using kill 1484, but the process can not be
> killed, I have to restart my redhat linux 7.1 sever.
> It gives me too much trouble.
>
> Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Try 'kill -9 <pid>'  This is equivalent to 'kill w/ extreme prejudice'
;)  The downside, IIRC, is that it doesn't clean things up properly, it
just kills the process cold.  And there are some processes that even
this won't touch, like errant NFS mount commands :(

HTH,

Monte

--
All right, breaks over.  Back on your heads!!