Hey RHers!

I must be doing something very stupid, so I hope someone can help me out.
:)

Problem:
  Horrible performance with any drive connected to the 3ware ATA-Raid
Contoller.

Cards in computer:

 - 4X AGP  NVIDIA NV11
 - 3ware ATA-RAID 7410
 - 3ware ATA-RAID 7410
 - Intel EEPro 100
 - National Semiconductor ns83820
 - 3ware ATA-RAID 7410

Specs:
   AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1800+
   512 MB DDR Memory

I have tried multiple kernel versions and RH 7.2 and 7.3.  Currently I am
using a patched 2.4.18-7 distributed by ASLabs which contains the latest?
3ware drivers 1.02.00.020

I have tried using a hardware raid 5 with 4 drives on each controller.
Running "mke2fs -j" takes over 40 minutes and the load average approaches
3 or 4.  I have then tried a software raid 5 with similar results. mke2fs
will stall at about 115 when writing the inode table and slowly progress
through the rest of them.

My guess is that I am not formatting the filesystem incorrectly, so I may
need guidance there.  Otherwise, I am quite confused.  I tried using SGI
XFS and the filesystem will get generated almost immediately, but the
resulting performance is terrible.  For example, sync takes forever after
doing some IO, and the load average goes through the roof.

Augh, I am confused.  I must be doing something stupid.

Ohh, 1 of the hard drives is on the onboard IDE controller and it just
flies :) No system load troubles either.

Thanks,
  Daryl