Mark Gallagher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> How on earth do you start ftpd?  Simply typing "ftpd" into a shell
> comes up with "ftpd: command not found" - the same occurs with
> variations of capitalisation like "Ftpd" and "FTPD".  Various guesses
> like "start ftpd" and "init ftpd" don't work either.
>
> Any ideas?

ftpd is typically started from inetd, which collates all sorts of
"standard" internet services into one "super server" which starts all
other servers on demand.

Depending on your release you either have the "old" inetd installed:
 - 'man inetd'
 - configuration file is /etc/inetd.conf
 - services are turned on/off by commenting/uncommenting lines
 - changes are activated by '/etc/rc.d/init.d/inetd reload' (IIRC)

Or you have the "new" xinetd:
 - 'man xinetd'
 - configuration is a collection of files (one per service) in
   /etc/xinetd.d
 - services are turned on/off by the configuration statement
   'disable = yes'/'disable = no' in their respective file
 - changes are activated by '/etc/rc.din/init.d/xinetd reload'

The ftp service is usually called 'wu-ftpd' (It is the ftp deamon by
"Washington University") on RedHat.

So long,
   Joe

--
"I use emacs, which might be thought of as a thermonuclear
 word processor."