Daniel,

On Monday May 27, 2002 06:52, you said something about:
> thanks for that link
> but while most of the info was completely new to me
>   (and therefore very helpful)
> i didn't find what i was looking for.

You just didn't quite get it is all. It's all in there.

> right now my prompt looks like this:
>
>   [gabriel@drall gabriel]$
>
> but i want it to look like this:
>
>   [gabriel@drall /home/gabriel]$
>            ^^^^^ (colour maybe?)

Here's lots of color and the home dir coming out the way you want. The "\w"
is what you were asking for but would not have given you the
"/home/gabriel" as it would have expanded to "~". So instead we use the
$PWD to get what we want. Of course it has to put in there as ${PWD}.

export PS1=$'[\[\033[1;34m\]\\u@\\h\[\033[0m\]
\[\033[1;31m\]${PWD}\[\033[0m\]]\[\033[1;33m\]\\$ \[\033[0m\]'

Don't forget to put this in your .bashrc, of course for an xterm you may
need to do something with the PROMPT_COMMAND variable.

Feel free to tone down the color some. ;)

True enlightenment is left as an exercise for the reader. But you should
find the link provided will answer any/all of your questions.

Previously provided link...

--
Brian Ashe                                                     CTO
Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]