On Thursday 30 May 2002 07:39 am, Chapman, Matt wrote:

> I have done the following.  Opened up the boot.img from cd1 by the
> following command:
>
> mount -o loop boot.img /home/matt/temp
>
> Then I cd to that dir and changed the text in the *.msg file.  Then
> umount /home/matt/temp
>
> I then do a syslinux (new version) to the boot.img file to update it to
> the new sysimage...
>
> I then burn my cd with the appropriate commands.  When I boot my cd I
> get my changed text but then it says "missing or corrupt kernel"  Now
> before you ask... I did not touch the initrd.img or the vmlinuz file at
> all!
>
> Any ideas?  Am I mounting it wrong.

If all you have done is modify the *.msg files, there should be no need to
run syslinux.

When creating bootable images, I generally format the disk (must be a dos
file system) then run syslinux, then add the remaining files.

Here is a snip from a script I use to create a boot disk:
mformat a: || {
    echo "Error formatting the floppy disk, exiting."
    exit
}
echo "Running syslinux."
syslinux -s /dev/fd0 || {