On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 02:11:14PM -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>     Does anyone have RH7.3 (or 7.2, doesn't matter) running with AT&T Broadband
> (using a LinkSys BEFCMU10 Cable Modem) ?  Right now I have this thing connected
> to my Win2000 machine, but I'd like to connect it to my Linux box, and set it
> up as a firewall.  However, I seem to recall during the installation on
> Windows, it asked for my account and registration to install and work.  How
> does this work on Linux?  Do I just set eth0 to DHCP and assume it'll work when
> I boot the system up?  Any caveats I need to be aware of?

        I'm currently connected up with RedHat 7.3 on my firewall.
But I'm using a Toshiba PCX1100U cable modem.

        All I had to do is give the installer the MAC address of my
ethernet card and the MAC address of my cable modem.  When he arrived
to "install" it and the digital cable TV converter, he looked at my
systems and asked "what is it running, Linux?"  When I said "yes", he
said "I don't think we support Linux."  I told him, "That's right, you
just support providing me with a broadband interface.  I support Linux."
I gave him the numbers and he called them in.  He needed an account name,
but that was only for the E-Mail address, it had nothing to do with getting
the broadband interface to work.  When he said it was ready, I "ifup'ed"
the interface and a couple seconds later was pleased to see "obtaining
information for eth0" followed by "[OK]".  He was impressed (and surprised,
I think he thought it would be trouble and it was a peice of cake).

        This is down in Atlanta Georgia, formery Media One, formerly
Wometco, formerly Gwinnett Cable.  You're milage may vary in your
location.  :-/

> --
> W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
>   Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   .   303.442.6410 x130
>   IT Director / SysAdmin / WebSmith             .     800.441.3873 x130
>   Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc.            .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6
>   http://www.pcraft.com ..... .  .    .       Boulder, CO 80303, U.S.A.

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/